Older & Wiser (4pg)

Why Main Street Hospital Is The Smart Choice for Seniors

When it comes to aging, we’re all headed in the  same direction.

GROWING OLDER is a natural part of life. Unfortunately, it’s also a time when many people face new health concerns. At Main Street Hospital, we provide seniors with the medical services, technology and expertise to meet their health challenges, so they can make the most of their golden years.

Joint Replacement and Orthopedic Services
more than 400,000 hip or knee replacements are performed in the United States each year. If you’re having difficulty walking or find it painful to perform daily activities, a first step is to talk to your primary care physician and make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. Joint replacement surgery for a knee or hip, which normally takes about two hours or less, may be an option. Within a few weeks or even days, the vast majority of patients are enjoying much greater mobility and living far more active lives.

Bone Density Test for Osteoporosis
it’s estimated that 28 million Americans (80 percent of them women) already have osteoporosis or are at risk for the disease, which can often go undetected until a bone fractures. A simple bone density test — recommended for men age 70 and older and women 65 and older — can measure the amount of calcium and other minerals that keep your bones strong. Talk to your physician about testing earlier if you have increased risk factors such as a family history of osteoporosis, a small and thin body frame, have taken oral steroids for more than three months, or have ever been a smoker.

Cardiac Services
83 percent of heart attacks occur after age 65. And heart disease is America’s most serious health problem, affecting approximately 84 million people. The first step in fighting heart disease is to schedule an annual physical exam. Your personal physician can check the four numbers critical for a healthy heart: your blood pressure (120/80 is optimal), your cholesterol level (anything higher than 200 puts you at risk for heart disease), your blood sugar (100 maximum) and your resting heart rate. If further tests are required, Main Street Hospital has the expertise and technology to give your heart a thorough examination, whether an electrocardiogram, chest X-ray, echocardiogram, stress test, CT-scan or MRI is needed. If heart disease is detected, we offer treatment options including cardiac catheterization and angioplasty.

Cancer Care
The risk of cancer increases as you grow older: 80 percent of cancers are diagnosed after age 55. Detecting cancer early greatly increases the chances of a successful treatment, and death rates for cancer have decreased 20 percent since its peak in 1991. For a list of the cancer-screening tests recommended for seniors, please see the “Senior Health Checklist” on this page.

Sources: National Osteoporosis Society, webmd

Comments are closed

Copyright ©2015. All Rights Reserved.